A streetcar passes the Eugene Field home at 634 South Broadway in 1934. The home is the lone survivor of what were once 12 homes known as Walsh’s Row.
In 1934, when Walsh’s row was scheduled for demolition, Irving Dilliard wrote a passionate editorial in the Post-Dispatch decrying the planned demolition. This inspired two St. Louis businessmen to help the Board of Education save it.
Fun fact: Field’s father Roswell was the attorney who filed suit on behalf of Dred Scott.
Have a great weekend!