December 12, 2014 | 1 Comment
10 Ways To Shop Safe This Holiday Season
Return to Blog
There is still plenty of time to get those holiday gifts purchased, and we’re happy to help you check items off of your to-do list. But as you finish your holiday shopping this weekend, be sure to be alert — especially when it comes to theft.
Here are 10 suggestions to keep you safe this season:
- If possible, shop with a friend.
- Don’t carry all of your money in the same place, divide it up.
- Make sure you keep at least one hand free at all times and if you’re carrying a purse, keep it close to your body.
- Never set your packages or purse on the floor of a bus or train. If there is room, place them on the seat furthest away from the aisle.
- If you’ve purchased a lot of gifts and drove a car, take your purchases to your car, lock them in your truck and move your car to another location before re-entering the mall. Remember: Out of sight, out of mind.
- If driving, park in a safe, well-lighted area. Do not leave radar detectors, stereos, phones, laptop computers or other easily removable valuables in plain sight.
- Visually scan parking lots before and after you park, and before returning to your vehicle. Always lock your car.
- Avoid ATMs that are set in recessed areas. After completing your transaction, immediately put your money away and leave.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Don’t develop tunnel vision.
- And as always, if you see anything suspicious on Metro property, report it to any Metro employee.
If you have any additional questions regarding safety, please contact our Department of Public Safety at 314-289-6873 or 314-289-6872.
Identity theft is also common around the holiday season. Here are a few tips to help you stay clear of unwanted scams.
From all of us here at Metro transit, have a safe and happy holiday season.