City of St. Louis, Metro Announce Grand Bridge Construction Begins March 14Return to Blog
St. Louis City Mayor Francis Slay, Metro President & CEO John Nations, Streets Director Todd Waelterman, and Board of Public Service President Rich Bradley gathered today to announce the details about the closure of the Grand Bridge at 5:00 a.m. on Monday, March 14, 2011. The City announced that the bridge will be closed to traffic for approximately 14 months with the entire project finishing in 18-24 months.
Metro President & CEO John Nations talking about Metro’s Grand MetroLink Station project what commuters can expect during the construction period.
(If you can’t see the video, click here to view it on YouTube.)
The new Grand Bridge and Grand MetroLink Station will include:
- Two through lanes in each direction
- Bus pullouts (to keep traffic moving)
- Shared use shoulders with bike lanes
- 13-foot wide pedestrian walkways
- Four 57-foot towers, decorative concrete and railings
- 9-foot-wide raised, irrigated landscaped median maintained by St. Louis University
- New elevator and stairs towers for MetroLink platform access
- New Scott Transit Plaza with decorative lighting, pedestrian waiting area
- 58-car park-ride lot
Metro Ambassadors will be out Thursday, March 3 5:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. to hand out service brochures and answer any questions passengers have about the Grand Bridge closure.