December 20, 2013 | 0 Comments
Holiday Tips: Always Be Alert When Shopping and Using ATMs
Return to Blog
With only a few days left to finish your holiday shopping, here are some things you can do to help keep your holiday season safe.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
- If possible, shop with a friend. Not only is it safer, but it’s more enjoyable.
- Don’t carry all of your money in the same place, divide it up.
- Don’t allow your purse to dangle. Keep it close to your body.
- Make sure you keep at least one hand free at all times.
- If you acquire too many packages, take your purchases to your car, lock them in your trunk and then move your car to another location before re-entering the mall or store. Remember: out of sight, out of mind.
- If driving, park in a safe, well-lighted area. Avoid dark, isolated areas.
- Do not leave radar detectors, stereos, cell phones, laptop computers or other easily removable valuables in plain sight. Leave what you don’t need at home.
- Visually scan parking lots before and after you park and before returning to your vehicle. If something looks suspicious, contact security or the police.
- Always lock your vehicle.
- Never put your packages or purse on the floor when riding on a MetroBus vehicle or on MetroLink. If there is room, place them on the seat furthest away from the aisle.
- If you are using Metro transit and see anything suspicious, report it to any Metro employee.
- Only go to well-lighted and frequently used machines. Avoid ATMs located in recessed areas.
- Try to go with someone else, when possible.
- After completing your transaction, immediately put your money in your purse or pocket and leave. Don’t stand and count your money or walk away with your money and wallet in your hand.
Have a safe and a happy holiday season.