MetroLink Ticket Validator Machines Lighting UpReturn to Blog
When we roll out smart card technology next year, the lights on ticket validating machines will let you know if your Gateway Card has enough money stored on it to take Metro. In the future, if your smart card is not valid for travel, the light will flash red. The lights are being turned on for testing on the MetroLink system.
The Gateway Card will offer a more convenient, secure way for you to pay Metro transit fares. Instead of paper tickets or passes, the Gateway Card will contain a computer chip that stores Metro passes or cash value. The fare is automatically deducted when you tap your card on fare equipment each time you ride. The Gateway Card will benefit Metro transit riders by providing the following:
- More convenience: The Gateway Card can be loaded online, at ticket vending machines at all MetroLink stations and select transit centers, at select retail outlets, or at the MetroStore in downtown St. Louis. For maximum convenience, you will also be able to set up autoloads to replenish your balance when it gets low, or to renew a pass before it expires.
- More security: You can register your Gateway Card so the balance is protected if it is lost or stolen.
- Less hassle: The Gateway Card stores passes, cash value and discounts for qualified customers. You will not need exact change.
- Better service: The Gateway Card will make it possible for Metro to tailor routes and schedules to better meet customer needs.
- Extra savings: Through a “daily cap” function, you will never pay more than you should — no matter how many times you ride in a day.