North Hanley MetroLink Station Improvements
Thanks to ARRA, Metro has just started working on improvements to the North Hanley MetroLink Station. Nothing fancy, but these improvements will help the station accommodate higher frequencies of bus service, improve traffic flow, segregate bus traffic from customer vehicles, and provide a smoother ride for customers.
Of course, all time schedules are based on cooperative weather!
What Changes Will Be Made?
- Reconstructing the bus road & loop to a heavier-duty and more durable concrete;
- Constructing a new bus berth to accommodate more bus service to the station (currently 180 buses/day here);
- Removing asphalt and resurfacing the entire customer parking lot (except the newest section that was just added last year and is still in good shape);
- Repairing sidewalks, replacing curbs, storm sewer work, striping and other miscellaneous work.
How Does This Impact Me?
- Due to the bus road construction, riders are currently catching the bus at temporary stops. When the bus road is completed mid-May, the temporary stops go away and you will be back in the bus berths.
- These temporary stops mean that there are fewer parking spaces available in the lot due to the construction. Also, some of the disabled access spots had to be removed, so we’ve added more of them in the parking garage to accommodate our patrons. Those spots will come back (and the temporary ones added in the parking garage will go away) when the bus road construction is complete and the temporary bus stops are gone.
- Beginning mid-May, the parking lot will be resurfaced in four (4) phases. This is being done so that no more than 20% of the parking area is impacted at any one time.
- You will still be able to park at North Hanley during this resurfacing project! Our Project Manager tells me this lot isn’t reaching capacity except on baseball game days, so regular commuters should have no trouble finding a parking spot even during construction.
When Will This Project End?
The contractor has until the end of November to complete this project. We’re phasing it out over a longer period of time to ensure that the parking lot and bus loop remain as useable as possible and the work only minimally impacts our customers.
If you have any comments or questions, let us know!