Top 10 Tips for a Safe Holiday Shopping Experience
The holiday shopping season is in full gear, and while that’s great news for anyone looking for deals on holiday gifts, it can also be good news for thieves. Whether you walk, ride a bike, ride Metro or drive your car to get your shopping done, it’s important to stay alert so you can protect yourself and your property.
To help you stay vigilant, remember these 10 safety tips:
- If possible, shop with a friend.
- Don’t carry all of your money in the same place, divide it up.
- Make sure you keep at least one hand free at all times, and if you’re carrying a purse, keep it close to your body.
- Never set your packages or purse on the floor of a bus or train. If there is room, place them on the seat furthest away from the aisle.
- If you’ve purchased a lot of gifts and drove a car, take your purchases to your car, lock them in your trunk and move your car to another location before re-entering the mall. Remember: Out of sight, out of mind.
- If driving, park in a safe, well-lit area. Do not leave radar detectors, stereos, phones, laptop computers or other easily removable valuables in plain sight.
- Visually scan parking lots before and after you park, and before returning to your vehicle. Always lock your car.
- Avoid ATMs that are set in recessed areas. After completing your transaction, immediately put your money away and leave.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Don’t develop tunnel vision.
- And as always, if you see anything suspicious on Metro property, report it to any Metro Public Safety Officer or employee.
If you have any additional questions regarding safety, please contact our Department of Public Safety at 314-289-6873 or 314-289-6872.
From all of us here at Metro transit, have a safe and happy holiday season.