Taking a Fresh Look at the Metro Transit System
The St. Louis region is constantly evolving. So are its transit needs. To ensure that Metro is positioned to more effectively align its service to our customer needs and meet shifting market demands, we are launching Metro ReImagined – a comprehensive, full-scale analysis of the MetroBus system. This study will result in a framework for phased improvements to the MetroBus system that can be implemented within our current budget.
Metro ReImagined is much more than a study of transit operations. It’s a proactive look at the mobility needs of the region, which will help us improve the customer experience and increase access to destinations throughout the area.
A valuable transportation resource and driver of economic development for the region — today and in the future
The focus is on our customers. Metro ReImagined will not only look at where people travel in the region, but why they travel and how they want to get there. The study will also evaluate the potential of new technology and innovative transit concepts – from new vehicles to new service options.
Our goal is to ensure that Metro remains a valuable transportation resource and driver of economic development for the region — today and in the future.
ROUTE TO A
METRO SERVICE & RIDERS
- Engage key stakeholders to gain insight into regional transit priorities.
- Learn from riders about how they use MetroBus and what they like and don’t like about the service.
- Examine current population and employment trends, travel patterns and future development plans to evaluate potential demand for transit service.
- Analyze current MetroBus system on a route-by-route and stop-level basis, and identify what works well and what can be improved.
- Review existing financial environment to understand revenue sources and cost drivers.
IDENTIFYING CHANGES FOR A MORE SUCCESSFUL METRO
- Outline guiding principles, or themes for change, from engagement and outreach in phase one. Key issues include identifying current and expected future roles of transit in local and regional mobility, and transit’s link with overall regional development.
- Establish a structure for the vision of public transit in the future, including types and levels of service, potential transit vehicles and other key features.
OCTOBER 2017—FEBRUARY 2018
RETHINKING THE METRO TRANSIT SYSTEM
- Develop service recommendations based on key takeaways from analysis of guiding principles and current transit conditions. Recommendations will be designed to use resources more efficiently to provide more effective service.
- Refine recommendations through collaboration with Metro and Bi-State Development staff, stakeholders, transit riders and the general public through public outreach events – including meetings, surveys and interviews.
FINALIZING THE VISION OF THE NEW METRO
- Complete new MetroBus service package.
- Develop year-by-year implementation plan that outlines proposed service modifications.
- Establish a financial plan to ensure sustainability.
- Assess capital needs required to support new service package (e.g., new stations, stops, shelters).
- Evaluate requirements for type and number of vehicles needed to support proposed service levels.
Get Involved, Be Heard
Metro ReImagined is a four-part study that is expected to take approximately 15 months to complete. We will be actively engaging our stakeholders and the public through each phase.
There will be multiple opportunities for you to take part in the study online and through in-person events, including community meetings, open houses and “pop-up” Metro Re-Imagined kiosks at select transit locations.
Stay tuned to this page for updates on these public outreach events – the first opportunities will take place in Summer 2017.
For all of the latest updates on Metro Re-Imagined, follow the NextStop blog or sign-up for email updates.
Questions or comments? Send us an email at email@example.com or call us 314-982-1480.
Presentation – Metro ReImagined Project Overview