Elevator Resumes Operation at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere MetroLink Station
[ST. LOUIS, MO/May 9, 2023] Service has been restored to the main elevator of the Forest Park-DeBaliviere MetroLink Station, located on the east side of the station platform. The elevator on the west side of the platform remains out of service at this time. Both elevators had been unavailable since July 26, 2022, when historic flash flooding caused approximately $40 million of damage to key infrastructure and components of the MetroLink light rail system. Some of the damage to the system included:
- Loss of one MetroLink train to flood damage at the Delmar Loop Station
- Substantial damage to both elevators at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere Station
- Substantial damage to communications and fiber optics equipment
- Damage to four signal houses, including the total loss of the DeBaliviere signal house (which are responsible for managing rail switches and train movement)
- Damage to five miles of light rail track
The flood damage severely compromised MetroLink service for several days following the flash flooding on July 26. Metro Transit crews worked around the clock to restore Red Line MetroLink service and partial Blue Line MetroLink service by July 30, with full Blue Line service restored in November 2022. Due to the flood damage of the signal houses, MetroLink is currently unable to operate at pre-flood service levels.
Repairs and replacement of flood-damaged infrastructure has been significantly delayed since last July due to supply chain issues. However, Metro Transit continues to make repairs to the light rail system as supply chain issues are resolved, and it is anticipated that the majority of the repair work will be completed in fall 2023.