St. Louis Downtown Airport Runway News Conference
Director of Communications
WHAT: News conference to announce the completion of improvements to the primary runway
WHEN: Monday, November 21, 2011 at 11:00 a.m.
WHERE: St. Louis Downtown Airport Fire Station, Conference Training Room
6100 Archview Drive in Cahokia, IL 62206 (just west of Oliver’s Restaurant & Deli)
Directions to the airport are below.
WHO: U.S. Rep. Jerry Costello, United States Congressman (D-12th District Illinois)
Susan Shea, Dir. of the Division of Aeronautics for the Illinois Department of Transportation
John Nations, Metro President and CEO
Robert McDaniel, Director of St. Louis Downtown Airport
The primary runway at St. Louis Downtown Airport is open again following a six-month reconstruction period and is accommodating larger aircraft like the Airbus 320, the Boeing 757, and the McDonnell-Douglas MD-80. In addition, a new high-intensity lighting system with Precision Approach Indicators (PAPIs) was installed.
Already the third busiest airport in the State of Illinois, this runway will enable St. Louis Downtown Airport to generate new business and expand its clientele by attracting larger charter and corporate planes which bring sports teams, celebrities, elected officials and business executives to the Downtown St. Louis area.
Directions to St. Louis Downtown Airport from downtown St. Louis:
• Cross the Poplar Street Bridge and stay in the right lane to take the Route 3 exit to Cahokia.
• Go to the third stoplight (Queeny Avenue) and turn left.
• Turn right on Nickell (for a short half-block).
• Turn right on Falling Springs Road.
• Turn left at the Airport sign onto Curtiss Steinberg Drive.
• Go over the railroad overpass to the four-way stop sign intersection.
• Go straight through the intersection and turn right on Archview Drive for the terminal parking lot. Fire station is to the right of the terminal.
If arriving from Illinois take I-255 Exit #15 through the Sauget Industrial Park to Curtiss Steinberg Drive and turn left toward terminal.