MetroBus Electric Bus Fleet Grows with 6 GILLIG BusesReturn to Blog
Metro Transit has been partnering with GILLIG since 1992, and this recent delivery brings our total electric bus fleet to 10 40-foot buses and 14 60-foot buses.
The battery electric buses provide a substantial savings in fuel and maintenance costs – up to $525,000 over the life of each bus. As zero-emission transit assets, these buses will provide a reduction of 100 to 160 tons of greenhouse gas emissions when compared to a diesel bus.
These new additions will operate on various MetroBus routes in the City of St. Louis and St. Louis County, and provide riders with a quiet, comfortable ride.
Fast Facts: GILLIG’s 40-Foot Battery Electric Buses
- Serve a variety of MetroBus routes in Missouri
- GILLIG: Purchase price = $950,000 | Operating cost = $0.43 per mile
- Range of 150 miles on a single charge
- Have 444 kWh of battery storage
- Charges overnight at Brentwood MetroBus Facility, powered by Ameren Missouri
- The 40-foot buses also deliver a superior transit experience with the latest features and amenities, including a Thermo King Electric HVAC system with integrated thermal management, and superior ride quality with low noise levels and smooth, seamless acceleration.
- Known for being the lowest cost transit buses to maintain, GILLIG buses are built on the company’s proven low-floor platform design and feature Cummins propulsion systems.
- Buses were built in Livermore, California