MetroLink Changes Starting September 5: Blue Line Service to Operate Between Shrewsbury and Forest Park
Metro Transit will make changes to MetroLink service beginning on Monday, September 5, in an effort to provide more reliable, on-schedule light rail service. These changes include:
- Blue Line MetroLink Service: Blue Line trains will only operate between the Shrewsbury-Lansdowne I-44 and Forest Park-DeBaliviere Stations. There will be no Blue Line service east of Forest Park. Blue Line trains will operate on a 20-minute frequency, seven days a week.
- Red Line MetroLink Service: Red Line trains will operate between St. Louis Lambert Airport and Shiloh-Scott MetroLink Stations, and will operate on weekday schedules Monday through Friday and weekend schedules on Saturday and Sunday.
- Blue Line passengers will need to transfer to a Red Line train at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere Station to continue their eastbound trips.
- Passengers heading west to Blue Line stations toward Clayton and Shrewsbury-Lansdowne I-44 will need to transfer to a Blue Line train at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere Station.
- All transfers between the Red Line and Blue Line will be made at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere Station, and passengers should allow extra time for the transfers.
Background – Flood Damage
Metro Transit has been looking for solutions to work around the complex challenges created by $40 million in flash flood damage, which occurred on July 26. Key signal and communications systems near the Forest Park-DeBaliviere Station sustained major damage during the historic rainfall. Since then, Metro has been working to keep trains moving efficiently despite not having these key systems operational. Although train service to all 38 MetroLink station has resumed, some riders are experiencing significant delays with the operational plan that launched on August 22.
“We are in emergency flood recovery mode and are looking at all viable solutions to improve MetroLink service for our customers. The operations plan we put into place on August 22 is not producing the results we need for our customers. In fact, it has created further MetroLink delays, so now we move on to this next option,” said Taulby Roach, President and CEO of Bi-State Development. “Realistically, we are looking at six months or more to completely replace the signal and communications components before we are back to pre-flood service levels on MetroLink.”
“We appreciate the patience demonstrated by our customers. We know their MetroLink commutes have been challenging since the flooding damaged a key area of the MetroLink system.”
Updated Schedule Information
These changes to MetroLink operations will help provide more reliable schedule times for riders. Below are links to schedules that will go into effect on Monday, September 5.
Station Schedules: 5th & Missouri | 8th & Pine | Belleville | Brentwood I-64 | Central West End | Civic Center | Clayton | College | Convention Center | Cortex | Delmar Loop | East Riverfront | Emerson Park | Fairview Heights | Forest Park-DeBaliviere | Forsyth | Grand | JJK Center | Laclede’s Landing | Lambert Terminal #1 | Lambert Terminal #2 | Maplewood-Manchester | Memorial Hospital | North Hanley | Richmond Heights | Rock Road | Shiloh-Scott | Shrewsbury | Skinker | Stadium | Sunnen | Swansea | University City-Big Bend | UMSL North | UMSL South | Union Station | Washington Park | Wellston
Modified Boarding at Select Stations
Passengers at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere Station will continue to board all eastbound and westbound Red Line trains on the westbound side of the platform, and all westbound Blue Line trains on the eastbound side of the platform. At the Skinker and University City-Big Bend Stations, all eastbound and westbound trains will board on the eastbound platform.
No Elevator Access at Forest Park
Both elevators at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere Station are out of service due to flood damage. MetroLink riders who need elevator service and start or end their trips at the Forest Park-DeBaliviere Station can continue to request special transportation by using the Passenger Assist Telephone (located at all MetroLink stations and Transit Centers), by calling 314.982.1400, x4870 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, or calling 314.289.6872 after hours.
The latest details on MetroLink service, including updated schedules, are available on the Special MetroLink Operations page. Contact Metro Transit Information for questions or help planning your trip by calling 314.231.2345 or texting 314.207.9768, Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.