Via Metro STL Celebrates 2 Years of ServiceReturn to Blog
Metro Transit’s successful first-mile/last-mile transit service, Via Metro STL, is celebrating its two-year anniversary this month with sky-high ridership. This service supplements Metro Transit service by extending the reach of the system to better connect you to your destinations. The service provides shared rides for $2 to all residents, workers, and visitors. Riders can hail a Via Metro STL vehicle directly from their smartphone with the Via app when they need it, no schedules required.
Since launching in June 2020, Via Metro STL has completed more than 80,000 rides, and provided close to 10,000 rides in the month of May alone. Via Metro STL has seen steady ridership growth since its launch, including a 42% percent increase since early March 2022. Service is now available in three zones:
- North St. Louis County: 8 p.m. to 1 a.m.
- South St. Louis County: 5 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- West St. Louis County: 5 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.
To celebrate the 2-year anniversary, we are offering two free rides during the month of July for new and existing riders. Simply open the app and your two free rides will be there!
Recent rider survey results and data demonstrates how Via Metro STL is expanding access to affordable, equitable transportation in St. Louis County:
- Nearly 80% of riders’ annual household income is less than $50k, and 17% of riders report they wouldn’t have made a trip if Via Metro STL wasn’t an option. Many riders say “it’s the only source of transportation” they have.
- 87% of survey respondents shared that they do not own a personal vehicle. The majority of riders use Via Metro STL to commute to/from work, while 50% depend on the service to take care of daily errands like accessing medical care and schools.
- 59% of riders report having shorter travel times than before Via Metro STL. Riders often share their appreciation for “very direct routing.”
The service’s ultimate goal is to improve transportation accessibility through filling first-and-last mile transit gaps and expanding residents’ access to essential destinations. Wheelchair-accessible vehicles (WAVs) are also available for Via Metro STL riders.
Via Metro STL was recently named a “Leader in Equity-focused Transit Expansion” in the 2022 Via Impact Awards, which recognize cities and transit agencies who have leveraged tech and innovation to deliver exceptional service to their communities. Metro Transit is one of three transit agencies or cities that has been recognized with this award to-date, out of Via’s 500+ global partners.
How to Ride
- Create an account. Download Via from the App Store or Google Play store and follow the simple sign-up steps. If you don’t have a smartphone, please call 636.251.3328 to set up your ride.
- Set up a payment method in the Via app.
- Request a ride. Enter your pickup and drop-off addresses and choose the ride option that works for you.
- Meet your driver. Check the app and walk a short distance to your pick up spot.
- Get where you need to go.
For more information, check out our How To Ride Guide or watch our test drive to see how easy riding Via Metro STL is! If you need a wheelchair-accessible vehicle for your Via ride, be sure to toggle on the “Wheelchair Accessible” option in your account profile. If you need any assistance, please call 636.251.3328.
To ensure riders have a seamless trip planning and payment experience, this service is integrated with the Transit app.
Here’s What Riders Are Saying
- “I am able to get where I need, at a cost I can actually afford.”
- “There aren’t buses where I live, so I would have to walk 6 miles to get on a bus to get to work 20 miles away. It saves me a lot of walking. I don’t think I would keep my job without it.”
- “[The service] is reliable and gets me to transfer points…there isn’t a bunch of stopping; [the route] is direct – it just makes things more convenient.”
- “Via STL Metro helps me get to appointments that I couldn’t have gotten to otherwise.”